Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pattern Review: Dress-that-feels-like-pajamas-in-a-good-way (Vogue 8411)

I apologize for the slightly blurred photo. And the extremely dirty dog-nose-smeared window in the background. And for not wearing shoes. (Picture taken post-work-day. I keep all of my work shoes in my desk at work because I cannot walk to work in heels on the brick sidewalks around here. So... I didn't have any shoes to photograph the dress in at home. I promise, it looked better when I was wearing shoes.)

But hey, the upside of this picture is that you get Eleanor. She's so cute.

Pattern Description: Loose-fitting dresses have pleated front with top-stitching details and sash. Mid-knee length with top-stitched hem. Long sleeves with elastic casing.

Pattern Sizing: 6-20. I cut a 12, but probably could have gone down as far as an 8.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow? I thought so, but I know several people on PatternReview.com complained about the neckline instructions being complicated. I'm honestly not sure why. Or, maybe I've just been sewing Vogues too long and have completely internalized their dysfunctional instruction style.

One change I made: instead of setting in the sleeve like you would on a jacket, I sewed the sleeve to the body of the dress before stitching up the side seams. Then, I sewed the under-sleeve seam and the side seams in one fell-swoop. Super easy!

Oh, and for those darn pleats... Yes there are a lot, but they don't need to take a load of time. I just used a tracing wheel and some waxed paper to make the markings on the back of the fabric. It didn't take much time at all to pin out the pleats and baste them in place once I had the pleat lines noted. (side note: look! I still have tan-lines from Jamaica!)

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the neckline. The sides of the square form a very flattering shape -- they are slightly curved and lie at my neckline tightly. I also love the pleating detail.

Fabric Used: Knit from Gorgeous Fabrics in a nice shade of teal.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: No design changes, per se. I did take in over 1.5" from the side seams. I guess maybe my version is a little more fitted than the envelope's, but I like it better this way. You should have seen the dress without me taking out that much ease. It looked like a potato sack! Seriously, the hem was almost to my ankles. No joke.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I probably won't sew it again as a dress. I'm thinking about making it into a top or a tunic, since I love the neckline and the loose-fit is soooo comfortable.

Conclusion: I was pleased with the outcome of this dress. It seriously feels like wearing pajamas in a good way, and I felt put together and cute without much effort at work. Really, that's the beauty of knit dresses -- you get to feel like you're wearing your pajamas all day, when in fact, you look so cool and cute!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually behind on some reviews. I have a couple more things that I have finished and have actually been wearing. Photographing said items is tough in the winter (as evidenced by the crappiness of the photography in this review), but I hope to get the chance to photograph them soon!

13 comments:

Amanda S. said...

VERY cute! I've never looked twice at this pattern but it's really a lovely one. I like the color you chose as well.

Cindy said...

I love the dress! The pleats add a nice touch. Is Eleanor a wheaten terrier. We have a wheaten pup--Ronan. The best dog ever.

Susan said...

Very cute indeed. Lovely color!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Photographing is such a pain. It is always my limiting factor.

Love the dress! The color is great and your pleats are perfect.

Jen said...

em, i want one!

Meg said...

Love the colour and the neckline. Great dress.

AllisonC said...

I've never noticed this pattern either but your version is really cute. I totally understand the photography thing, maybe I need to persuade my cats to look cute in the background like Eleanor....

kathy said...

As someone who spent several years dealing with the Cambridge sidewalks, I hear ya. Such a pain.

Lori said...

Very cute dress.

Summerset said...

Very cute! Who says you can't be stylish and comfortable?!?

Lindsay T said...

Very nice! I really like it on you. It screams timeless.

narcissaqtpie said...

Nice! Love the color too.

Sharon said...

Great dress! Comfort and style all in one. The color is great and the pleats really give that nice added detail that takes it to another level.

And Eleanor is indeed cute.